About Designing Springfield

I'm a graphic designer - illustrator - cartoonist with a fondness for typography and a liking of the Simpsons. It seems only natural to put them together and have a little fun with the world of Springfield. It might also lead to paying work....

Monday, June 8, 2009

Red Blazer Realty

The Red Blazer Realty company is a parody of Century 21, whose agents all wear (or wore; I don't know if they still do) mustard-gold blazers as part of their corporate image. I decided to ignore the Century 21 logo and go a different direction.

As with all of these, my goal is to come up with what the business logo would look like if it really existed. Generally, that means sticking to the same assumptions and traditions that real-world businesses follow. In the real estate game, that means conservative choices of font and bold use of color, usually staking out one particular color as a distinction. I haven't noticed a lot of really great graphic design in the real estate business, my perception being that it's more important to be noticed than tasteful, so I went with the bright red of the signature blazer and placed it against black and white.

The red blazer icon is a simple geometric design, intended to be noticed and recognized while the viewer is driving past the signage. The typefaces are pretty generic, "Red Blazer" in Rotis Sans Serif Bold, with a 105% vertical scale, and "Realty" in Optima Roman with a 246% horizontal scale. (I'm generally loath to stretch a font, but in this case I made an exception, since I see it all the time in real estate ads.) The red color is as generic as can be, 100M/100Y.

1 comment:

  1. To be honest, if I were the head of a company in search of a graphic designer - illustrator - cartoonist, this guy right here would be the first I'd turn to.

    Great project, Mr. MacQuarrie.

    ReplyDelete