About Designing Springfield

I'm a graphic designer - illustrator - cartoonist with a fondness for typography and a liking of the Simpsons. It seems only natural to put them together and have a little fun with the world of Springfield. It might also lead to paying work....

Friday, June 5, 2009

Ayn Rand School for Tots


This was one of my favorite gags from one of the best episodes ever.

The goal here is to create a logo as bleak and oppressive as Rand's diseased philosophy. (Sorry, but just about every Objectivist I've ever met could most charitably be described as a jerk.) I knew it would be a harsh and rigid design, and originally it was strictly black-and-white, in keeping with the Objectivist worldview, but when I saw it on the gray background I knew it was right.

I looked at a bunch of geometric, constructivist and Art Deco fonts (including Anna, Bodega Sans several of Nick's Fonts) and before settling on Bureau Agency Bold. Even the name is oppressive.

1 comment: